TUI GROUP sustainability
Tourism is a Top five export in 80% of developing countries, and the most important export in a third of these regions. Making sustainable travel and tourism a focus for such a big industry is no easy task. But as one of the world’s largest leisure travel companies, we’re in the perfect position to lead by example. Our commitment to sustainability has been recognised across the industry, which is why we’ve been named the Most Environmentally Responsible Tour Operator for three years running.
Here’s how we’re making travel and tourism more sustainable:
- Reducing CO2 emissions produced by our airlines by 34,000 tonnes in one year – the equivalent of taking nearly 10,000 family-sized cars off the road for 12 months.
- Launching a series of more efficient 787 Dreamliners to reach new targets in reducing noise and air pollution.
- Raising £4.5 million for the Travel Foundation and ClimateCare via World Care Fund, our customer donation scheme.
- Printing Thomson and First Choice travel brochures on paper from sustainably managed forests.
- Accrediting hotels performing high on sustainability with the Travelife Award, giving customers better choices.
How you can get involved
From the moment you join us, you’ll be working to make sure that TUI GROUP is the most responsible organisation it can be. From something as simple as switching off the lights when they aren’t being used, to coming up with fresh ideas for greener products. Here in the UK, you could join Project Discovery, and spend a few weeks volunteering to help improve lives through tourism – from tree planting to promoting local crafts.
3-year sustainable holidays plan
Our sustainability plan sets out four ambitious goals to achieve by 2015 – from taking care in destinations, to reducing carbon emissions, and engaging our colleagues and customers in sustainability. It’s about making travel experiences special while minimising environmental impact, respecting culture and people, and bringing economic benefits to communities.
- DestinationsGoal: We will deliver 10 million ‘greener and fairer’ holidays
We will measure this by the number of customers we take to hotels with credible sustainability certifications from 2012 – 2014.
- CarbonGoal: We will operate Europe’s most fuel-efficient airlines and save more than 20,000 tonnes of carbon from our ground operations
We will measure this through TUI GROUP airlines’ average carbon emissions per revenue passenger kilometre (CO2/RPK) and CO2 saved from our major premises, retail outlets, brochure paper production, differentiated hotels and fleets of vehicles (against 2011 baseline).
- ColleaguesGoal: Our colleagues will rate TUI GROUP as a leader in sustainability
We will measure this through the Leadership Voice survey and Your Voice global opinion survey results – aiming to meet High Performing Company scores for responsibility towards the environment and community.
- CustomersGoal: Customers will regard TUI GROUP as a leader in delivering more sustainable holidays
We will measure this by our performance in consumer research in our key source markets.