Apprentice Activity Instructor with JCA
Who is it for?
An apprentice activity instructor with JCA is the first step in a rich and rewarding career path. This role is particularly suited to those with a passion and enthusiasm for working both with people and in the outdoors.
Although enthusiasm for adventurous activities is important, the key role of our Activity Instructor Apprentices is actually about working with young people, delivering great service and leading our guests in activities. The Apprenticeship in Activity Leadership is designed for those individuals who wish to gain a broad, but solid foundation to allow them to follow a career in the outdoor sector or further in the leisure sector.
What is involved?
We will teach you all of the technical skills required to run our activities for our guests from fencing and archery to climbing and abseiling. Not only will you get to live and work at one of our fantastic activity centres in the UK, you will also gain qualifications and experience while working in a job which is unique.
You will learn the skills and gain the knowledge required to deliver activity sessions to the highest standards through hands on experience as well as quality training and feedback. You will have a dedicated assessor throughout your apprenticeship as well as ongoing support and development from a team of senior instructors and trainers.
As well as practical experience and on the job training and assessment, there are also elements of the apprenticeship which will be assessed through your written work and online tests. Our assessors will work closely with you as an individual to help you with any requirements you have to aid you in your learning.
What we offer
- Quality training from our internal and externally accredited team of trainers and assessors.
- Ongoing support and development throughout the apprenticeship.
- Guaranteed work placement at one of our seasonal activity centres following completion of the apprenticeship.
- Opportunity for progression within the company depending on experience and performance.
- Full board accommodation.
- Entitlement to apply for ‘NUS extra’ discount card
- National governing body qualification and certification including:
- Emergency First Aid at work
- British Fencing level 1 coach
- Apprenticeship in Activity Leadership including the following awards:
- NVQ level 2 Activity Leadership
- Level 2 Award in introductory work in the outdoors
- Level 2 Award in Employment Awareness in Active Leisure and Learning
- Functional skills Level 1 English
- Functional skills Level 1 Maths
What we are looking for
- A positive individual with a passion for learning how to develop skills in young people.
- Confident and fun personality with a strong commitment to learn how to achieve outstanding service delivery.
- Committed to ‘learn while you earn’ by engaging fully in the apprenticeship projects and tasks as part of your role.
- Willing to engage at all times with customers and colleagues
- The highest personal standards and pride in attitudes and behaviours displayed
- A passion to work with young people and actively grow and share your knowledge
- Excellent communication skills
- Able to learn new skills quickly
- Willing to live and work residentially onsite.
- Reasonable mathematical and written English ability, strong verbal English.