The Hotel Refurbishment Manager’s principal responsibilities are to plan and oversee the implementation of hotel refurbishment work to ensure that projects meet the requirements for delivering an attractive cruise product, are integrated into the ship’s infrastructure successfully, and, are delivered on time and on budget. The role is central to the delivery of the Marella Cruises fleet modernisation plan,
Reporting to the Head of Technical Operations, the Hotel Refurbishment Manager is responsible for ensuring that the refurbishment of ship’s hotel facilities is planned and conducted in a cost effective manner and in compliance with all International, Flag State and Port State legal requirements.
Hotel facilities are regarded as including the public facing aspects of the following areas:
- Internal public areas and entertainment venues
- Galleys and pantries, including galley and equipment
- Bars, including bar equipment
- Furnishings and finishes in external public areas
- Passenger cabins, bathrooms and corridors
- Public toilets
- Children’s areas and facilities
- Concessionaire and privileged access facilities
What you will be doing
- Support customer product development, hotel operations teams and design specialists to provide a ship hotel infrastructure that is capable of delivering product requirements
- Provide subject matter expertise on the design and implementation of hotel projects including:
- Developing design proposals for feasibility assessment
- Estimation of project costs and contribution to the preparation of business cases for funding applications
- Production of detailed work specifications that are accurate and represent the complete package of work that is required. These will include developing ‘cost-engineering’ propositions to ensure that work packages are cost efficient and deliver optimum return for investment
- Monitoring competitive tendering processes, assessing suppliers’ proposals for consistency with the design intent, value, quality and practicality
- Co-ordinate hotel refurbishment projects and manage their integration into ship operations and maintenance projects both during and out of passenger service
- Oversee business partners and suppliers to ensure that projects are suitable for marine use, are managed in a technically robust manner and deliver good value for money
- Identify maintenance and upgrade requirements and help develop long-term financial estimates to ensure that hotel facilities are maintained to agreed standards and projects can be delivered within required timescales and budgets
- Assess the ship-board operation of hotel facilities, monitor the performance of personnel directly involved in its operation and maintenance.
- Agree and implement agreed standards of operation and maintenance with business partners and suppliers
- Identify opportunities and propose modifications to improve accessibility of ship facilities to persons with restricted mobility
- Work with product and safety orientated teams to co-ordinate projects to upgrade and replace ship signage
- Reviewing all reports of hotel facility related non-conformities, incidents or near misses and following-up the implementation and verification of corrective/preventive actions process including evaluation of their effectiveness.
- Monitoring Classification Society and Flag State requirements and supporting the survey process as appropriate. Ensuring that the certification associated with hotel facilities is maintained in accordance with the relevant Class and Flag State requirements.
- Keeping abreast of Statutory and Class regulations and standards and advising the Head of Technical Operations as it becomes apparent that investment is required to comply with any changes.
- Inspecting vessels, monitoring their condition and preparing condition/attendance reports, including any comments on maintenance, crew performance, etc.
- Attending repairs and out of service maintenance periods to ensure that work is being conducted as required and costs are being properly controlled.
- Evaluating repair quotations, selecting repair Companies and location of the repairs, based on the “best quality of works” / “cost” relation, taking into account the vessels’ itinerary and Charter Party obligations.
- Ensuring that the purchase orders for hotel facility related spares/stores are reviewed for accuracy and cost-effectiveness and that there is proper management of spare parts and consumable stores.
What we are looking for
- Recognised qualification and, or, a substantial period of role-based training from either marine design or hotel refurbishment industry and related trades.
- Extensive experience at a senior level in the planning and delivery of ship refurbishment projects
- Willingness and genuine interest in developing and expanding existing expertise and applying it to develop the customer product offering on Marella Cruises ships
- Good understanding and experience of achieving compliance with maritime regulation and working with Classification Societies.
- Comprehensive knowledge, gained through practical experience, of how hotel refurbishment companies estimate, plan and execute projects
- Broad working knowledge of the range of equipment and materials manufacturers and suppliers supporting the marine hotel refurbishment industry
- Team player with proven people and project management skills
- Track record in meeting tight deadlines in a pressurised environment
- Analytical, logical and methodical
- Clear articulate communicator with good negotiation and presentation skills
- Proactive, dynamic self-starter who is able to work independently and build relationships both within a team and with other organisations
Working within TUI group
Be Yourself… Be Unique! TUI’s more than a brand, it’s who we are. Trusted – Unique – Inspiring.
We’re the leading tourism business with diverse customers and over 67,000 employees. Together, we embrace different continents and cultures. We believe travel broadens the mind. Just like our customers, we’re on a journey, of development towards a more digital, connected and integrated future. But we haven’t arrived there yet. We believe that differences drive innovation and we’re encouraging an environment where diverse talent thrives. Inclusion is fundamental to everything that we achieve and it’s our unique colleagues that will shape the future of travel.
The TUI Group includes our unique hotel portfolio, our cruise ships, our own aircraft, tour operators, travel agencies. TUI is the UK’s largest tour operator with key brands including TUI, First Choice, Marella Cruises and Crystal Ski Holidays. Our airline is the country's third largest with 62 aircraft operating to over 88 destinations in 30 countries. We have a team of more than 10,000 employees serving over 5.5 million customers each year.
Join us now and you can look forward to a competitive salary, pension scheme and further benefits such as generous holiday discounts, excellent rates with foreign exchange and discounts with retailers.
How to apply
Apply online, we just need a few details from you and your CV.