We have an exceptional opportunity for an experienced solicitor from the travel industry to join us as Head of Legal for the Northern Region of the Markets & Airlines Legal function. Leading our team of Commercial Lawyers, you will be accountable for the provision of support to the Northern Region tourism businesses of TUI Group and the participation in projects, activities, topics and initiatives across multiple regions.
As you might imagine, travel can be a complex industry and one that needs to be agile and adapt quickly, never more so than now. We pride ourselves on our ability to do this while offering an outstanding customer experience. As an integrated travel provider, we have many facets to our business and our Commercial Legal team advise and support across the vast majority of these. Therefore, your highly developed skills and knowledge from the travel industry and specifically a tour operator environment will be essential.
As the World’s Leading Tourism Group, we have a constant desire to attract top talent. Our offices and culture are professional but not as corporate as you might expect. We have a relaxed feel and a sense of fun and we encourage you to bring your personality to work.
Our Legal teams support across TUI UK&I and beyond ensuring integrity and reducing risk in our businesses. From compliance to litigation to commercial, the scope of the work is broad and varied keeping things exciting and stimulating. In a fast-moving industry such as tourism, there’s always something new to learn or a project to get involved in, so it's bound to be engaging and appealing.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic our ways of working are a bit different just now with most of our colleagues working from home. Many colleagues worked from home at least a couple of days a week before the current situation, as looking after our colleague’s welfare is important to us. It's very likely this role will begin with you being based at home, there will be lots of opportunities to connect with your colleagues via technology, and when we can get together face-to-face, we will.
Applications close 4 December 2020
(previous applicants need not reply)
How will you make an impact as Head of Legal - Northern Region
There are many ways for you to get involved:
- You'll be responsible for the provision of legal service across the Northern Region Businesses (including the source markets of UK, Ireland, the Nordics countries and occasional interaction with franchise operations in the Baltics)
- Managing and leading a small team of Senior Legal Counsel and Legal Counsel delivering cutting edge and efficient legal support to the various businesses and functions, whilst encouraging and overseeing their development ensuring that legal knowledge is sufficiently up to date and competence maintained
- Providing advice to the Senior Leadership Team and other senior leaders around legal risk and regulatory impact of business challenges and initiatives
- Acting as a facilitator to help progress business aims in a way that appreciates and is respectful to legal risk
- Draft, review and advise on complex, high risk and high value or strategically important (and supervising others doing so in relation to strategically less important) commercial contracts for the tour operating and distribution businesses
- Provide and supervise the provision of legal advice on a wide range of ad-hoc issues and subjects. Engaging with various regulators responding to queries, investigations and seeking to understand or influence approach.
- Actively contribute to various projects, activities, topics and initiatives across multiple regions and support team members in doing the same driving the agenda of standardisation and the removal of duplicitous or unnecessary effort
- You'll participate in and contribute to a range of business fora, management meetings and steering committees, occasionally sitting on the Group Senior Legal Leadership team meetings and contributing to legal strategy
- Act as an advocate for the movement towards digitalisation in the provision of legal service. Engaged in the development and adoption of the technology solutions chosen by the Markets & Airlines legal organisation to improve efficiency, control and performance across the function
- Contribute to the drive towards providing effective self-service by producing precedents, playbooks, checklists and guidelines that can be relied upon by the businesses
- Deliver face to face training to the business on legal topics
- Occasional management of the legal input into significant transactions, including the acquisition or disposal of major assets (in coordination with Group Corporate Law, M&A)
- Contribute to the selection and deployment of with external Counsel and Legal Advisors ensuring that they are used efficiently in a way that adds value. Promoting a real focus and commitment to driving down external cost
- Support the Legal Director/General Counsel – Markets & Airlines on a variety of projects and in the development, roll out and maintenance of the wider Markets & Airlines legal function’s strategy
What will you bring to TUI as Head of Legal - Northern Region
There is more than one way to the perfect fit - Here are some of the ideal things:
- A minimum of seven years UK legal post-qualified experience to align with the risk potential and the high relevance of appropriate and effective legal advice required
- Significant legal experience from within the travel industry, in particular from a Tour Operator environment
- Excellent ability to interpret and provide advice on new and complex areas of law relevant to the leisure industry and to identify legal risk within complex strategic plans
- Substantial experience in managing high performance teams and a strong focus to lead the regional commercial legal team
- Ability to influence at all levels internally, especially with the MD’s and leadership of the relevant businesses as well as group functions such as Integrity and Compliance, Group Digital Law, Risk Management, Internal Audit, Finance, Communications, etc. and with external stakeholders including regulators
- High personal integrity and credibility who can spread a high-performance culture across the lawyers in the Northern Region
- Fluent English language skills.
TUI and you
- Fantastic holiday benefits including discounts, special offers and the ability to purchase additional ‘TUI time off’
- Health and Wellbeing support in five key areas – Financial, Health, Social, Community and Career
- Discretionary Bonus Scheme
- Car Allowance
- Private Medical Insurance for you and your immediate family
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Pension scheme, life assurance and options to buy shares
TUI is the UK’s largest tour operator, our key brands include TUI, First Choice, Marella Cruises and Crystal Ski Holidays. Our airline is the country's third largest with 62 aircraft operating to over 88 destinations in 30 countries. We have a team of more than 10,000 employees serving over 6 million customers each year. We’re on a journey towards a more digital, connected and integrated future. But we haven’t arrived there yet. We believe that differences drive innovation and we’re encouraging an environment where diverse talent thrives and it’s our unique colleagues that will shape the future of travel.
If you want to know more about why TUI Group is the world’s leading tourism group, and our continuing work in the diversity & inclusion space, simply visit careers.tuigroup.com.